Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ready for New Year's

Today (1 am, February 14) is the Lunar New Year, the year of the Tiger. I am ready.

This afternoon, I made preparations. I cleaned house, ushering out the old year, and making space for the new. I took out the trash. I shredded papers. I threw out old bedding. I took things out for recycling.

I drove to the recycling bin, to find that it was gone. I wandered confusedly around campus until I found another one. I dropped things off at the Goodwill.

I went to the store. I have everything for New Year's tomorrow--red bean paste and Mochiko for sticky cakes (nian-gao). I bought fish--Pacific cod. I have dumplings. I have cilantro, and five-spice powder.

I vacuumed, and swept, and dusted. I washed all the dishes (and I have no dishwasher). I cleaned the tub, the tile, the doors, the toilet, the sinks. I scrubbed the floor. I filed, put things away.

I showered, washed my hair, put on red pajamas. I turned the vent on in the bathroom, (instead of opening the windows and doors of the apartment), so that the old year could freely exit.

I am eating unbroken ramen noodles--long, for long life. I put on Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger."

I am ready for the New Year.

Happy New Year, everyone! Wealth and Long Life!

1 comments:

Nojh said...

Happy New Year to you too!