Sunday, May 9, 2010

Summer starts

Last week was the last week of the semester.  I turned in my last paper on Monday, and then I mostly took the rest of the week off.  I got a haircut, watched "How to Train Your Dragon" (my first current generation 3D movie), and did heaps of laundry, as I put away all my winter clothes and took out the spring wardrobe.

Of course, last week, it was sunny, with temperatures in the high 70's, low 80's.  Today, it's dark and rainy, and in the 40's.  I had to turn the heat on, again, and I'm dressed in layers.

I had high hopes going to see "How to Train Your Dragon."  I had spoken with several people, and read reviews, all with positive things to say, and who said that the 3D was well worth it.  I enjoyed the movie--it was a cute, feel-good, kids movie.  However, the 3D did not agree with me--I found it uncomfortable to view, and in the end, I had a mild headache.  I was a bit surprised, as I had thought that this new generation of 3D had fixed the problem of nausea and headaches that the old generation red-and-blue-glasses type of 3D had been known to cause.  It might have been due to the type of 3D--I believe the type used in my showing was XpandD, and not the polarized RealD glasses.  I do know that when I put the glasses on before the start of the show and was looking around the theater, I noticed that it made it look like the sconces were flickering.

I hadn't cooked in a long time.  On Friday I made a chicken pot pie, and a black bean soup.  The soup was black beans, diced onions, and chopped tomatoes and potatoes, with a chicken broth base.  I had completely forgotten how fun cooking could be.

Once again, it was based off a Dean Ornish recipe.  Next time, I will add corn.

The end of semesters are always times when I feel open to possibilities.  For the summer, I'm thinking of working on my photography more seriously.  I think I'm going to get a book on composition from the library, and see if I can't photograph along with the chapters of the book.  And maybe...start posting twice a week again.

I'll be teaching my first class the first summer session.  Next week will be spent preparing.  And then I start the week after that.  I hope all goes well.



The penny remains.

0 comments: