Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Monday Drive



As Borat would say: Great Success!

I had class this morning, then I went to the car dealership to get an oil change and winterization.  I arrived at 1:30pm, and was told that I had been scheduled for 1 o'clock.  I used my phone to pull up the e-mail confirming my appointment--it was 1:30pm.  Luckily, the (other) 1:30 appointment didn't show, and they were able to get my car in.

The dealership was at the edge of town. So when my car was finished, I went driving. I went south, but then the road curved westward. I was in a little community I had never been before, with a small downtown along the road. And the countryside was lovely.

I wanted to stop to take pictures, but I didn't want to stop at a person's farm. Luckily, I came across a state Department of Agriculture building.  It was new, large, with plenty of parking.  As far as I could tell, I was the only one there.  But best of all, it was adjacent to a farm, complete with a red barn, and a field of dried corn.

Unfortunately, between the Dept. of Ag building and the farm, there was a lowered area for water retention.  The retention area was a long oval, and because of the recent snow, there was actually a pond on one side, with wild mallards swimming in it.

I decided to cross it on the drier side of the oval.  The whole area was covered in unmown hay, flattened by the snow.  The adventure was testing each footstep--would the unseen earth underneath the grass support my weight?  Or was it hiding a puddle of mud?  It really was like crossing a pond, as I slowly zigzagged across.

On the way back, I stopped in the little town, and took a picture of a house I had seen from the highway. It had been decked out for Halloween, with mannequins by the door, a scarecrow hanging by it's neck from a window, and ghouls popping out flower pots.  


And finally, I returned to school, for the sole purpose of getting a "color wheel" shot. This time, I think I got it right:




For more and larger photos, go to my Picasa album: Monday Drive

0 comments: